Wednesday, August 20, 2008

HP - Delayed!



Tragic Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince news. It has been delayed! Now we won't get to see it until next July 17, 2009.

But what about my Christmas holiday Harry Potter watching needs????

Silly movie companies and their money grubbing ways!



Edited (later that same night) to add:

From the WB press release:

In making the announcement, Mr. Horn stated, “Our reasons for shifting ‘Half-Blood Prince’ to summer are twofold: we know the summer season is an ideal window for a family tent pole release, as proven by the success of our last Harry Potter film, which is the second-highest grossing film in the franchise, behind only the first installment. Additionally, like every other studio, we are still feeling the repercussions of the writers’ strike, which impacted the readiness of scripts for other films—changing the competitive landscape for 2009 and offering new windows of opportunity that we wanted to take advantage of. We agreed the best strategy was to move ‘Half-Blood Prince’ to July, where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid-summer.”

So, basically, they needed a summer blockbuster. They decided Harry Potter would make more money in the summer than in the Christmas season. They made the change.

6 comments:

Matthew said...

Why was it delayed?

MadJenny said...

I edited the post to add part of the press release. Near as I can tell, the studio didn't have another big blockbuster ready to fill the summer spot, so they've moved Harry Potter.

False Prophet said...

Well, given the sad state of this summer's movie season, I don't really blame them. But family fare like that usually does better around US Thanksgiving or Xmas, whereas the summer is for the blockbusters aimed at 15-year-old boys. Prince Caspian suffered coming out in May between Iron Man and Indiana Jones.

That said, "Tropic Thunder" was hilarious!

MadJenny said...

Oh, I definitely understand their reasoning from a business perspective. I'm just being a little bit of a petulant, peevish, young thing about having to wait longer for the movie!

Luckily Twilight is still scheduled for late fall release. While I'm not looking AS forward to that, it is still something to look forward to.

Summer mini-blockbuster of excellence this summer (according to me): Get Smart! It was amazing! And didn't do anything to embarrass my beloved show of days gone by.

MadJenny said...

P.S. Prince Caspian also likely suffered from not being very good. I thought they changed the story unnecessarily, and concentrated on battle scenes to the detriment of story.

False Prophet said...

Well, I haven't seen Prince Caspian, nor do I plan to, but I've read a lot of reviews agreeing with your assessment.

And I totally agree about Get Smart!. I never really watched the show, but the movie was definitely hilarious! I'm tempted to check out the Bruce and Lloyd: Out of Control direct-to-video spin-off as well.