Monday, June 02, 2008

Sex and the City - the Movie

Throughout all the lead up to Sex and the City: The Movie I felt fairly blasé. I blithely told people that I was kind of over the show. That a movie now seemed either too soon, or too late. That it wouldn't hold up in theatres, and that maybe, just maybe, I'd watch it once it came out on DVD. In the end, I couldn't hold out. Or I didn't want to. The thought of 2.5 hours with my favourite New Yorkers of days gone by was too much for me. This afternoon, after a very busy day of getting errands done, I treated myself to a trip to the movies. What better way to spend my one day weekend?

The moment the familiar music started, audience members cheered. Literally. There was cheering in the audience. I got goosebumps. The traditional Carrie monologue to set up the scene got underway, with a montage of the girls doing their thing in the 3 years since we last saw them. And then. There they all were, prancing down the street. I welled up. Literally. Those of you who've watched movies, or television, or commercials, with me, know that I'm a crier. And I must admit it. I cried a few times this afternoon.

I'm not going to pretend that it was a brilliant movie. It wasn't. It isn't likely to hold up through the generations as a stand alone film. In fact, it felt much more like a bloated, extremely long, episode than a movie. But for fans of the show it was an opportunity to revisit the characters we loved, and the lives we miss.

The thing about the show is that it was so well written, and the characters were so strong, that I felt a real connection to all of them. Even to Samantha, with whom I share basically no personality traits. I cared about what happened to them, and waited each week to see how their lives had developed. The movie gives a chance to step back into their world. To see how they've changed, and how they haven't. They are still flawed. But they've all grown somehow.

I wouldn't recommend seeing this if you aren't already a fan. But if you are a fan, go. By all means. Go and see it. You won't regret it. It is like 4 or 5 episodes in one.





No comments: