Monday, April 07, 2008

Signs of the Apocalypse?

There are strange, strange things happening in the world. Could it be a sign that the apocalypse is nigh?

Sign #1

NKOTB - That's Right! The New Kids on the Block! They are back.
Not only do they get their very own Spice Girlesque reunion tour, the boys are also putting out a new album. Oh my!I'm not so sure the boys should still be referring to themselves as kids, or indeed, as new kids on the block. But whatever.

It is nice to know that the boys are hangin' tough, and that they still have the right stuff. Let's hope they take this reunion step by step, and that time really is on their side. Call it what you want, but I remember when they were big before, and I say: Babies I believe in you, I have a funny feeling that time is on your side, and you should definitely try it again.

Sign #2

In their ongoing quest for heartwarming tales to warm the heart and rekindle the spirit, those crazy money-grubbers over at Chicken Soup for the Soul headquarters have actually come out with Chicken Soup for the American Idol Soul! For serious. We somehow wound up with it at our library!

From the Chicken Soup website:

"Why is it that American Idol has touched so many hearts and reached so deeply into the American psyche? Why is it that millions of Americans not only love the Idol’s music but love the Idols themselves? And why is it that fans want to read everything they can about their Idols?

In this book, you will discover why, as the #1 show in television history and the #1 non-fiction book series in publishing history come together to bring you
Chicken Soup for the American Idol Soul."

Not only does the book feature stories by the idols themselves, but there are also tales written by Idol fans! Wheee!


Sign #3

A more sombre note. Public libraries in some American cities are facing the possibility of privatization. The whole point of a public library is to provide free and open access to information for all people, regardless of race, creed, or ability to pay. Take away people's access to information and you take away a lot more of what it means to be human and to be a citizen. Furthermore, as soon as private interests become involved in funding a library, you run the risk that those private interests will influence the information provided. Imagine, if you will, a library funded by a giant pharmaceutical company - it might be that you would find that library providing information favourable to that particular company, but not information that offers alternative health information to those provided by the company. I'm disgusted.


Sign #4

Today I actually ironed all of the shirts I washed this weekend, and hemmed the pants I bought yesterday, rather than waiting until I was desperate for something to wear and needing to iron at top speed while already running late. A sign of the apocalypse if there ever was one.




Sign #5

While discussing the possible longterm impacts of Earth Hour this evening, the Deranged Squirrel, renowned the world over for her great fear of fire said, and I quote: "and really we could sit around in the dark more... it didn't really impact our evening negatively... the candles were actually kind of nice"!!!! Holy cats!


So now we're just waiting for two more signs. If you happen across them, let me know. Or don't. Perhaps I'd rather live out the time left before whatever it is hits, in blissful ignorance.


4 comments:

Azura said...

Re: the last NKOTB paragraph...
*GROAN!* ;)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any signs... or horsemen...

faerie-writer said...

God, I hate those Chicken Soup books too! Ever since I found out they don't even pay their authors, I refuse to look at them.

MadJenny said...

Azura - heh... :P - but don't the NKOTB just make you want to pun? I can't help myself! At least I didn't work in "cover girl".

Faerie-writer - I didn't realize they don't pay the writers. One more strike against them! My previous prejudice had been based purely on the pukiness factor of the stories.

False Prophet said...

I thought the NKOTB entry was inspired.

But I love puns. :-)