Sunday, March 09, 2008

Snow Storm Aftermath

We live in a crazy world. The weather is so crazily affected by the damage we've wrought on our environment that we can go from a year of almost no snow like last year, to a year of intense storm after intense storm. Yesterday when I was waiting for a bus at about 4:00 p.m. I couldn't actually see if there was a bus coming until it was almost at the stop because the snow was coming horizontally at an incredible rate.

I took these pictures around 6:00 p.m. today, after the plows had been through. This is my parking lot. Those cars are parked about two thirds out of their spots into the driving area. And the first three spots are now taken up with snow mountain.


That is snow mountain in the background. It is crazy.

And snow mountain without the cars, earlier in the day.

And then this is the street parking out front of the building. Bear in mind it was a sunny day. This is after the melt of several hours direct sunlight. In March.
If this winter hasn't been a cautionary tale for people that we need to do better with our stewardship of our environment, I don't know what would be. I for one, have had enough of this particular cautionary tale, and am ready to move on to the spring version.

2 comments:

faerie-writer said...

It's funny. I grew on P.E.I. and this weather seems normal to me. ;)

Oh by the way, I tried using self-laminating sheets and they worked *perfectly*! I don't have time today, but I'll let you know when I post some pictures. Thanks so much for your suggestion. :D

MadJenny said...

I think what disturbs me is the severity of the weather, not the actual snow accumulation. It seems frightening to have snow and thunder and lightning at the same time.

I'm glad the self-lamintating worked!