Thursday, March 06, 2008

Between the Books

I realize that it has been an absolute age since I posted a book review. The supposed purpose of the blog, yes. But the blog has been hijacked by household woes of late.

So, what have I been reading.

Ever so much!

First, I just finished listening to Book of the Dead, Patricia Cornwell's newest Kay Scarpetta book.
http://www.patriciacornwell.com/
It was very scary, and one of the best Scarpetta books I've "read" to date. Definitely a must for fans of the female forensic pathologist genre.

I also just finished reading Golden, by Cameron Dokey. This is her retelling of the Rapunzel story for a teen audience. I really enjoyed the book. It was a completely original version of the story that was really appealing and a quick read.

I'm currently reading Sunshine, by Robin McKinley. This is an adult book, and involves Vampires! I'm not too far in, but it is great so far. The heroine is a baker in a coffee shop, and she's just been abducted by Vampires. I haven't spoiled anything as you learn all that from the jacket. It is all a very dark twist of the usual from Robin McKinley and I'm loving it!

To cleanse the pallet after the horrors of Book of the Dead, I've been listening to a Janet Evanovich Between the Numbers which, I think, is called Plum Lucky. The newest one. Total fluff, but fun.

I've also been rereading The Egypt Game, by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, in the bathtub, because I own it, and it doesn't matter if the ratty old paperback gets a little wet. This book used to be a little scary for me, but now I can't think why. I'm loving it.



I am also dabbling in a little non-fiction. Shocking! I know!


First, I've started The World Without Us, by Alan Weisman. I'm not very far in yet, as I can only do non-fiction in small doses. This one is gorgeously written. It examines humanity's impact on the environment - or on the planet - by examining what would happen if we weren't here. Fascinating stuff. And thought provoking. I'm hoping I can get through a good chunk of it before I have to take it back to the library.

And then, today, Reconciliation, the book Benazir Bhutto wrote shortly before her death, arrived at the library for me. I haven't started it yet, but I find her very interesting, and I'm looking forward to what she said on the topic of Islam's relation to the West.

So there you have it. That's the current line-up. A bit of a mixed bag.

No comments: