Sunday, September 16, 2007

Quilt Show

This Saturday I went to the Simcoe County Quilt, rug hooking, and weaving show with my aunt K. and my mom. As always at those smaller county shows I was astounded by the shear breadth of talent exhibited. There were dozens of gorgeous quilts - ranging in size from small wall hangings to giant affairs that would fit a king sized bed - and oh so many other pieces of handiwork. I don't really know anything about quilting. Nothing really. But even I could appreciate the huge amount of work that goes into the creation of a quilt.

The one shown below was hand pieced. Not necessarily the blue and white checks, but all of the flowers. And it was hand quilted. I think if you click on the picture you'll be able to see in more detail. The stitching was tiny and even. It was a work of art, and it was huge.




I really like the use of colour in this one. It looks pretty simple from a difference, but the gradations of shade were beautiful.




This one is very cool. I'm not sure if you can tell online, but the the blocks look 3D, all because of their shape and the choices of colours placed together. It was so neat to look at.





This one was incredible, it had fan shapes, going off in various angles, and each piece of each of those flowers is a different piece of fabric.

And then there is this, an example of a more pictorial quilt. The tree is created with small pieces of appliqued fabric. This one feels very Group of Seven.





Some of the rugs were also incredible. This one employed subtle variations in tone and shade of yarn to create a real feeling of depth. This is hand done as well.

I missed out on getting any pictures of the embroidery or woven cloth, but there were some incredible pieces there too. All this created by the people of Simcoe County. Amazing.

No comments: