Tuesday, August 14, 2007

More Upcoming Fantasy Movies

You may remember my posting a couple months ago on the bumper crop of great fantasy-based-on-fabulous-fantasy-books-movies coming out in the next little while. Well, as it turns out I only scratched the tip of the iceberg.

When I went to see Stardust, discussed below, the previews were a fabulous window into the glories to come in the next year. Not only did the show a The Golden Compass preview, they also showed several more.



The Spiderwick Chronicles
by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black is being made into a movie starring the rather ubiquitous but adorable Freddie Highmore of Finding Neverland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory fame. Due out in February 2008, the teaser trailer looked fun. I've only read a couple books in the series, but I think it will transfer well to film.









Beowulf based on the legend, with script by Neil Gaiman and Roger Avary (of Pulp Fiction fame). Due out in November 2007, this film is performed by some very cool computer animations with very big stars behind them. The trailer looked totally cool and totally scary.






The Seeker: The Dark is Rising, based on the Susan Cooper book is due out in early October, 2007. From the trailer, it looks like they've taken rather a lot of liberties with the book, setting, characters, etc. However, the trailer also looked exciting. So, it could be that this turns out to be one of those fun movies that one wants to see, but which one would rather had a different name and didn't go around masquerading as an adaptation of a fabulous book.




I'm still the most excited about The Golden Compass, and that is the one that will disappoint me most if it doesn't live up to Lyra's world as I imagine it. The wonderful thing about movies now is that the special effects are so amazing that fantasy worlds can, sometimes, almost live up to your own picture of them. All you have to do is look at Middle Earth as imagined by Peter Jackson and his friends to see what's possible. It's a great time to be a fantasy fan.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Yeah, 'The Golden Compass' is the one I want to see too! I saw a poster for it the other day and it just looks incredible! I hope I see the trailer when I see 'Stardust.' :D

ru said...

"the dark is rising?"
are you kidding me?

that is AWESOME!