Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Old Picture of the Week

It has come to my attention that I have not been updating with my usual regularity. I don't know what to tell you. I think I've been too busy to be inspired. I do have a backlog of about 6-7 books needing to be reviewed, but I can't seem to work up the energy for that, so here we go, another old picture.

In this case, it is the subject, rather than the photography itself that is of interest. La Musee International de la Croix-rouge et du Croissant-rouge, Geneve. The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum, Geneva. I love this sculpture. As you approach the museum, which is right across the road from the UN, you are greeted in the courtyard by these huddled, bound, silenced, figures, who seem somehow still to have dignity and grace. The statues speak of human rights violations throughout the world, and act as a reminder of our common humanity and our common and mutual responsibility. The very muteness of the statues speaks eloquently and viscerally.

The museum is also fantastic, with exhibits tracing the history of the organization to the present, with footage and images from current sites of devastation, and with temporary exhibits. Very worth visiting if you are ever in Geneva.

No comments: