Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Petition and a Plea



Tonight I became one of those people. You know the ones. The people who have so many television shows to watch that they tape one while watching another on a different channel? Yep. That was me tonight. I feel a little dirty. I don't like to think of myself as a couch potato. And, really, there are only a few shows that I really like. They just all happen to air on Thursday evenings, and they all had their season finale episodes tonight. So, what's a girl to do?

So, this is my open petition to ABC and NBC and their Canadian Affiliates, CBS too, although you weren't involved in this evening's debacle...


Dear giant broadcasting conglomerates,


When you have a show that is amazing, and intelligent, and funny, and touching, and a million other good things, do not put it on at the same time as a show that is equally good but on your competitor's channel. Put it on right after that show. You'll get more viewers. I'm sure you will. Note how I am appealing to your business sense here. But also it would be philanthropic and, indeed, generous of you.

Thank you.




So what shows were so important tonight?

That would be Ugly Betty and The Office. They both air on Thursday nights. And tonight they both had their season finale episodes airing at the exact same time.


If you haven't watched either of these shows, you should totally check them out in reruns. They are both fantastic.

Ugly Betty has these fantastic characters, some of whom are truly horrible, some of whom are adorable. The action is heightened to the level of soap opera, but at the same time the characters and relationships are very real. It is such a strange mix, and it is a lot of fun.

And tonight's season finale? Talk about cliffhanger! How are we going to make it through the next four months before we find out what happens next. There was so much devastation in the last 5 minutes that I still haven't processed it all.

And The Office. I've been in love with this bizarre little show since G&W gave me Season 1 of the British version on DVD. And I still love the British The Office, but I think the American The Office has become even closer to my heart simply because there's so much more of it, and you get to know the characters so much better.

Tonight's Season finale? One whole hour of goodness, rather than the usual half hour that leaves you wanting so much more. And so much happened! And there are so many exciting possibilities for the beginning of next season that, well, I can hardly wait.

At least for The Office I have my seasons 1 and 2 DVD sets to turn to for a fix every once and awhile.


So that's it, the end of my exploration into the world of being THAT person.

Forgive me if I now out-geek myself a little to say that I really kind of want one of these:

Yep, that's right. I crave the Dwight Schrute Bobblehead. Of course, I'll never get one, because, really, what would I do with it. But I just find it hilarious. There's even a site where people post stories and pictures of their Dwight Schrute Bobbleheads having adventures.


Book reviews coming soon, I'm sure of it. Right now I'm rereading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. But, when that's done I really will read something new.

5 comments:

Maggie said...

OMG 'The Office' was *SO* good last night! *dies*

MadJenny said...

Wasn't it amazing!?!?! I laughed. I cried. I nearly messed myself. It was awesome.
Pam's face in her last talking head was so amazing. That's what got me crying.
But the laughing. OMG when Jan turned around and had those giant breasts I almost lost it, Michael's face was priceless. "Thanks for your great advice Pam, but Jan's was [pause] bigger".
And Angela saying "Goodbye Kelly Kapoor" so vindictively when she thought Dwight would be able to fire her!
And, I think the best funny/touching was Dwight and Pam with the Secret assistant to the Regional Manager. The salute. I love when those two interact.

But, oh man! the ending! Ryan. What????

MadJenny said...

Oh! And I almost forgot about the Schrute Bucks motivational tools. Awesome.

False Prophet said...

I can't follow TV series on actual TV anymore. When I find a show I like, I watch the whole run over a short time period. Right now I'm in the middle of "Rome".

A lot of people seem to love "Heroes" and it sure sounds interesting but I'm waiting for Season 1 to end--then I'll watch it.

MadJenny said...

Well, ya. In many ways I feel the same. I'm on the waiting list for Rome too for that very reason. Well, that and I don't get the channel with Rome at the moment. And I'll probably watch Heroes on DVD too. I do like being about to watch episode after episode, and not having to wait weeks or months to find out what happens next.

But, I really kind of like the thrill of seeing a show when it first airs, at the same time as everyone else. That way no one spoils any surprises before you can enjoy them, and you can talk about it afterwards with other people who just saw the same thing.

I guess its kind of like the difference between going to see a movie in theatre, or waiting for DVD. Sometimes you just really want to see it when it first comes out.