Saturday, April 21, 2007

Today

Today, was, or would have been, my grandparents' 62nd wedding anniversary. Yesterday was my grandfather's 90th birthday. A big weekend altogether. But, having been a widower for just over one month has made this week difficult. Until now it has always been special and joyous to celebrate the birthday and the anniversary together. But the proximity of the dates seemed certain to intensify the sense of loss this year. So today, we had a gathering. With several elderly relatives and almost all of the immediate family (my cousin even flew up from Nashville! Way to go T.). All told, I think there were about 25 people. And the day turned out to be great. There was some sadness, and some memories were shared, but for the most part it was just about being together.

Future sister-in-law and mom with 2, that's right!, 2 gentlemen who have reached the age of 90. Both widowers. On the left, MH is my grandfather's cousin's husband. On the right is my grandfather.

My grandfather with my mom, aunt, and two cousins looking at the memory book of my grandmother's funeral. It has pictures of all the flowers that were sent, copies of messages and thoughts and speeches, and also includes the guest book that visitors signed.

And the extremely yummy orange carrot cake from the front of this month's Canadian Living. All that shredded stuff on top is candied orange peel and shredded white chocolate. So tasty.


If I could be half as healthy and full of energy as Poppy is at this age I would feel incredibly lucky. He's in amazing shape, doing over 50 sit-ups every morning! And he's still a crazy quick-witted character.

No comments: