Thursday, March 01, 2007

Reruns

So this evening, I was supposed to go over to HeddaDabbler's for a girl's night - to eat yummy food, gossip with the girls, and play with baby Signal - but instead, there was a snow/freezing rain storm, and I chickened out of the drive (and a good thing too, because according to traffic reports it was taking people 3-4 hours to get the distance I would have travelled - usually 30 minutes). This left me at home, eating leftovers and watching reruns. Why reruns? Because February sweeps is over and the nasty TV people are leaving us in an agony of anticipation leading up to the season finales.

Why is this a problem? Because I hardly ever catch Ugly Betty and the episode that is on tonight must be a favourite of the evil TV people because I have seen it twice before!!! Why is this always the way? You can go months without seeing a show and when you tune in again it is one of the 5 episodes you've already seen??? And The Office is a rerun I've seen as well. Gah!

So, a plea to the evil TV people:

When you show reruns, at least show different reruns from the last time you showed reruns! Please!



~end rant.

4 comments:

Matthew said...

Well Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is airing this year with no reruns. Many new shows are following the same model where a mini-series is being produced to cover the break in feb-march instead of showing the same shows over and over.

But I don't get why there is need for a mini-series. Why not just show in order with no reruns on the same day of the week at the same time. Now I can see taking a week or two break around major holidays such as XMas or the Olympics.

And then show the same show over again in the proper order again to fill the year.

Francis Wooby said...

Network TV, and the idiocy is frustrates us with, is dead to me. I just rent good shows on DVD thus cutting out the commercials and some knob network executive dictating my schedule to me. I can't wait until we can buy shows directly in Canada through iTunes and similar sites. Then you get them for life for $2 an episode, sans the ads. Slowly but surely, the consumer is wrestling back control of the market. Ha-ha-ha!

MadJenny said...

FW - I love TV on DVD! It is so great to be able to watch as season straight through without waiting weeks and weeks for a new episode. Luckily my library is now carrying TV on DVD, so, waiting lists aside, I am taking full advantage.

Matthew - I loved Studio 60 when it first aired, but it didn't hold up for me, and now I've basically given up. Too bad really. As for the mini series thing, I don't know. I kind of like mini series, and I think what they are doing is spreading the season out so that it covers all the sweeps periods. But, I'm with you that if they are going to run reruns it would be nice if they would do it in order.

Matthew said...

My last attempt to comment on this thread became far too long. So I turned it into an article.

Death of Reruns