Monday, February 19, 2007

Haiku U.

I found this fantastic little book while browsing the discount bin at Chapters.

Haiku U.: From Aristotle to Zola, 100 Great Books in 17 Syllables
By David M Bader
http://www.extremely.com/

And it is exactly what it claims to be. Some examples:


Oscar Wilde - The Importance of being Earnest

Earnestly Posing
as Ernest, Jack learns he's named
Ernest in earnest.



Samuel Beckett - Waiting for Godot

Act I. "It's hopeless
My boots don't fit. Where is God?"
Act II. The same thing.



Miguel de Cervantes - Don Quixote

Dusk - the windmills turn.
Is the Don mad, or are we?
No, it's him all right.




Genius. I love it!

For similar fun, check out Book-a-Minute, which I know I've seen and enjoyed before, and the False Prophet reminded me of this week. Lot's of silly time wasting fun to be had there too.

7 comments:

False Prophet said...

I love that haiku book. I must get my own copy!

MadJenny said...

If you are very very lucky, you might be able to get it for your birthday. You'll have to wait and see.

Canadian Economist said...

Give us more madjenny! What does it say about Hegel or Plato? I love it! Ha ha ha!

MadJenny said...

Ok CE! For you, and by very special request:

Georg Willhelm Friedrich Hegel, Phenomenology of Spirit

Thesis: A whole pig.
Antithesis: Butcher shop.
Synthesis: Schnitzel

(that one is freaking AWESOME!)

And, for Plato, it isn't our old FYP favourite The Republic, but it will do:

Plato, Phaedo

By Zeus, Socrates!
It seems you're right once again!
Time for your hemlock.


And, because you are who you are, and we studied him too.

Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations

Supply meets demand.
The invisible hand claps.
Capitalist Zen.

Fantastic isn't it!?!

ru said...

balanced book reviews
occasional baby pics
and bunny pics too

in case they need an entry for the mad tales!

MadJenny said...

Aww! Ru! That's EXCELLENT!

Thanks so much!
You're a Haiku superstar!

!!

Canadian Economist said...

madjenny! This is so cool. This is fantastic. thank you for fulfilling my special request.