Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Arrrrrrr!




Today be International Talk Like a Pirate Day! One o' the best holidays o' the year! An' Mad Jenny Flint’s Mad Tales celebrates in style! Shiver me timbers!! Yo ho ho and a bottle o' rum! 15 men on a dead man's chest

Fer yer entertainment an' delight:
The official International Talk Like a Pirate Day website:
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

How to talk like a pirate:
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/howto.html

Observe Talk Like a Pirate Day at work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGECIFa9rJM

Find yer pirate name (an it’s how I got this one):
http://www.piratequiz.com/

The Pirate Personality Quiz:

You Are A Pirate!
You Are A Pirate!


What Type Of Swashbuckler Are You?
brought to you by Maddog Varuka & Dawg Brown




Top Ten Pickup Lines for the Lady Pirates

10. What are YOU doing here?
9. Is that a belayin' pin in yer britches, or are ye ... (this one is never completed)
8. Come show me how ye bury yer treasure, lad!
7. So, tell me, why do they call ye, "Cap'n Feathersword?"
6. That's quite a cutlass ye got thar, what ye need is a good scabbard!
5. Aye, I guarantee ye, I've had a twenty percent decrease in me "lice ratio!"
4. I've crushed seventeen men's skulls between me thighs!
3. C'mon, lad, shiver me timbers!
2. RAMMING SPEED!
...and the number one Female Pirate Pick-up Line:
1. You. Pants Off. Now!

Pirate Jokes
http://www.piratejokes.net/

And, some of them, included here:

How do you know if you are a Pirate?
You don't, you just AAARRRRRGH!

What does it mean when a pirate coughs?
He's got sarrrrrrrrrrrrs.

How much did the pirate pay for his piercings?
A buck-an-ear!

Why did the pirate cross the sea?
To get to the other tide!

What Kind of Socks does a Pirate wear?
ARRRRRRGGyllll


Ok, enough of that nonsense. Some Bookishness:

And, I’d like to take this moment to recommend Pirates! the True and Remarkable Adventures of Minerva Sharpe and Nancy Kington, Female Pirates, by Celia Rees.




YA/historical/piractical!

Pirates is the amazingly fantastic story of Nancy, a privileged, if ignored, orphaned daughter of a wealthy British merchant, sent to the family’s Jamaican plantation where she is to be married off, and Minerva, a slave on that plantation. The two young women find themselves in an insupportable situation and run away. The rest follows. Being Celia Rees, the history is great and the narrative is gripping. I love this book. If is one of my top YA picks - and not just because it is a pirate adventure – it is simple a wonderfully well told story. Read it – live it – take on your pirate lifestyle and live up to Minerva and Nancy’s bravery and courage and pinache.


And, while we're on the topic - have you heard of the new "Vampirates" series due out soon? Or Sean Cullen's Hamish X and the Cheese Pirates - which is already out, but hasn't actually been on the shelves at the library since it arrived in? I am so looking forward to both of those. Another important note - Treasure Island has made one of the town's required reading lists for, I think, grade 6! Yay!!! What a fantastic book! (although, according to one of my favourite "stupid" library users, Robert Louis Stevenson actually wrote two books called Treasure Island, and the one the grade 6 students need to read is the longer one - who knew!).


A Fantastic Pirate Shanty
by Mark "Cap'n Slappy" Summers (can be sung to the tune of Monty Python's "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK" - or make up your own!)

Chorus
I'm a pirate! That I be!
I sail me ship upon the sea!
I stay up late - till half past three!
And that's a peg below me knee!

Yo Ho, my friends I have a tale
of treasure, plunder, sea and sail
my story's bigger than a whale
it gets so deep, ye'll have to bail.

Chorus
I'm a pirate! That I be!
I sail me ship upon the sea!
I stay up late - till half past three!
And that's a peg below me knee!

I like to fish, I like to fight
I like to stay up half the night
When I say "starboard" ye go right!
Me ma, she says, "Ye look a fright!"

Chorus
I'm a pirate! That I be!
I sail me ship upon the sea!
I stay up late - till half past three!
And that's a peg below me knee!

I've got no hand but that's me hook!
I pillage stuff but I'm no crook.
Me booty's in this chest I took.
They'll write about me in a book!

Chorus
I'm a pirate! That I be!
I sail me ship upon the sea!
I stay up late - till half past three!
And that's a peg below me knee!

And that's all there is to this song.
I hope it hasn't been too long.
A pirate's life might just be wrong
So grow up nice and big and strong!

Chorus
I'm a pirate! That I be!
I sail me ship upon the sea!
I stay up late - till half past three!
And that's a peg below me knee!


If yer' thinkin' o' gettin' pirate gear to wear fer the big day (or fer Halloween) - there be lot's available! I got some fantastic stuff for the pirate wedding (coming up next weekend) at a costume shop Monday - eye patches, belts, shoe buckles, gloves, you name it. I even got a pair of tights (to be worn on another day ) with skulls and crossbones up the sides. If anyone knows where I can get a good skull and crossbone fake tatoos in the next 5 days, let me know.


And, now, a picture of the world's sexiest pirate:















Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! (go play an organ with those tentacles).


















Just kidding - I meant him:

and again:

and the other one in that pic ain't so bad either.

So, fer t'day, mind ye te use yer pirate jargon, sing a shanty, and arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr with the best o' them.

Avast me scurrrrrvy knaves an' sea dogs! Ye be all worthy hands afore the mast!

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Vampirates! I love it! :D