Thursday, August 24, 2006

How To Be a Hero on Earth 5

How to be a hero on Earth 5, by Rob Payne

YA/Canadian/sci-fi/humour?

John Fitzgerald is a teen from Canada who is travelling to visit relatives in England when he is sucked through a porthole into an alternate dimension where the government is out to kill him. He and a bunch of other non-dimensional teens go on a quest to Scotland to try to get home.

There were moments of humour, but for the most part I found this dull. Boring. Excrutiating. If I hadn't been required to read it, I would have put it down.

So. Don't bother. Don't promote it. Let it die a slow and agonizing remainders bin death.

or is that too harsh?

Whatever. I didn't like it.

(with apologies to Rob Payne. I'm sure he's a lovely person and that many people will enjoy this and his other books)

4 comments:

Maggie said...

You know, of course, when someone hates a book that much, I feel the insane urge to read it. Hee. Hee.

P.S. My daughter just noticed you were using the Morpheus font. Cool!

MadJenny said...

I liked it so much on your site I had to give it a shot!

I double-dog dare you not to yawn while reading it if you do try.

Anonymous said...

from Books in Canada:
Strange, bizarre, weird, and richly imaginative are all words that are apt to describe this must-read book. Reading Torontonian author Rob Payne’s How to Be a Hero on Earth 5 is like touring Alice’s Wonderland with Monty Python and the Adams family as guides.

MadJenny said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for your comment. I have also heard other positive comments from other people who read the book. So, clearly this is a matter of taste. This story didn't work for me. It has worked for others. I am glad that people are enjoying it.

Next time you comment, let me know who you are. I like to know who I am talking with, even online.