Monday, July 03, 2006

Waking


Waking, by Alyxandra Harvey-Fitzenhenry
http://www.waking.ca/

YA/speculative/Canadian/poetic

Waking is beautiful. Reading this is like reading a painting. It is the story of Beauty, who, since her mother's death has been troubled by strange nightmares involving a Shadow Lady. Something of a Sleeping Beauty tale, the Beauty of this story is existing in a waking sleep until Luna, a new girl in school, and Poe, a dreamy boy, start to wake her up. With lot's of references to the pre-Raphaelites, Camelot, Ophelia, and Tennyson, I found myself wanting to grow my hair out long, dawn a Medieval gown, and recite poetry, all while resuming my long gone status as an angsty teen. This is the author's debut novel, and I hope we will see a lot more of her. For those wanting some sort of reference point for the style, I would say it is a sort of Francesca Lia Block, meets Sarah Dessen (circa Dreamland), meets something else I can't quite put my finger on that is like eating chocolate cake. It's excellent! Read it!

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Ooh, I'm telling Alyxandra about your review of 'Waking'! I'm sure she'll be very pleased! :D

Maureen Colgan said...

What a terrific review! So thoughtful and beautifully written. Thanks very much!

MadJenny said...

You're most welcome. Thank you and your company for publishing such a great book! I also have All Sleek and Skimming from your catalogue on my "to read" list which I am looking forward to. Lisa Heggum is kind of a goddess to youth services librarians.