Thursday, July 20, 2006

bloggish again

So, in my last bloggish post, you may remember that I mentioned having seen The Devil Wears Prada and my maybe mentioning that Anne Hathaway had redeemed herself slightly for having been in Ella Enchanted. I take that back.

Tonight, I watched The Princess Diaries 2 which I have been waiting to watch for quite some time because, secretly, I really really like Meg Cabot's fabulously fluffy books and the first movie. But - what happened???? I get that the actress was too old to play a high school kid in the second film. But - it wasn't even pretending to be in keeping with the spirit of the story! Not even a little bit! And where was Michael? And, arranged marriage - what? Even though Julie Andrews sings in the movie which is totally amazing since we all thought we'd never hear that again when she had that horrid throat thing happen, the film couldn't be saved from itself. Anne will have to do a little better than her roles in Brokeback Mountain and The Devil Wears Prada to overcome this one. Especially because she is going to be playing the god of all British women's satirical writers - Jane Austen - in an upcoming bio pic (eek!). So there.

Now that I have that off my chest...

How cool is it that Alyxandra Harvey-Fitzenhenry's publisher's marketing person actually came and read my blog review of her amazing book, and actually commented on the review! I think there is something definitely to be said for smaller publishers! If she reads it again, she should know that people are already hoping for the follow-up - soon - and that we want to see lot's more of the author's work in print. And that books of that style are really popular with teens these days, so keep 'em coming! Also, it is great that Orca is giving young Canadian authors, as wells as more literary than one often sees books for teens, a chance.

On a similar note - congratulations to Maggie L. Wood, author of The Princess Mage for your fantastic review on the SF Site! And written by Sherwood Smith - how cool is that! Note to Sumach Press - the same applies to you - we want more Willow and Brand - and we want them now!

Finally, I think that I just got myself into meeting up with an old boss who left the library in less than perfectly happy circumstances this coming Sunday. Now I'm nervous. This is going to be awkward. I'm not good at awkward.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Hahahhahaha! I'm telling Sumach you said that! ;)

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»