Thursday, July 27, 2006

Audiobook addiction and Lemony Snicket

Confession - yes, I do carry around multiple audiobooks in my car. Yes, I have been known to listen to them very loudly, causing coworkers to mock me when they can be heard through open car windows. Yes, I do listen to books on tape that I would never think of reading in proper book format. Yes, occassionally there are so many audiobooks in my car that passengers find themselves digging out a small space in which to perch amongst the cases.

BUT

They are so good! It's like having someone read you a story which is my very favourite.

So, the point of this post is Lemony Snicket. I read the first book in A Series of Unfortunate Events in book form. I just couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. The language play was amusing enough, but even that got tedious. All the adults were unbelievably stupid. What was it that people were finding so funny and compelling?

So then, because I was running a program on Lemony Snicket, I borrowed the book 2 - The Reptile Room - audiobook, and enjoyed listening to the delightfully sinister Tim Curry reading the story. This I enjoyed. It was funnier - much funnier.

So then, I borrowed book 3, and in this one Lemony Snicket himself narrates the story - and this was even better! Now I'm up to book 6, which I just finished listening to this evening. Next up - Sue Grafton, who I have never once thought of reading, but really enjoy in the car.

So, the moral of this post is - do not read A Series of Unfortunate Events*. Listen to A Series of Unfortunate Events, preferably as narrated by the author.

*Yes - a librarian did just tell you not to read.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

I liked the first few books and then felt like I was reading the same book over and over again but with different characters. I think after book 7 it starts to get good again.

I would *love* to hear Tim Curry reading them, though! I'll see if the library has them.

kidletsmum said...

i'm a closet audio book lover too! it sucks that most of them are abridged, but i just love having someone read to me... and yeah, i listen to things that i would never, ever read. it's the best thing to do in a car. well, bseides driving!